UPINGTON

Principal town of the Gordonia district. It develops from the mission station Olievenhoutsdrift. It was founded in 1871 and became a municipality in 1898. First known as Olijvenhoutsdrift. It was renamed 1n 1884 in honour of Sir Thomas Upington (1844-98), Prime Minister of the Cape Colony from 1884 to 1886, who visited the town in 1884. The Khoikhoi name is Kharaes.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Mission Station and clock tower
•    Nederduitse Gereformeerde Mission Station and clock tower, Schroder St – Known as Olyvenhoutsdrift was founded here in 1873 by the Rev Christiaan Schroder. The church dated from 1875. Now the Kalahari Oranje Museum. Proclaimed a national monument on 8 February 1985. 
Schroder parsonage
•    Schroder parsonage – Next to the church. The parsonage dated 1883. Formed part of the museum. Together with the church it was proclaimed a national monument.
Mission Station Church Hall
•    Mission Station Church Hall – Next to parsonage. The cornerstone was laid by Rev JAJ Steenkamp on 16 March 1946. Part of the museum complex. Contain a San exhibit.
Dutch Reformed Church
•    Dutch Reformed Church, Schroder St – Designed by architects FW and F Hesse of Cape Town. It was erected in 1911 and inaugurated on 13 April 1912. The cornerstone was laid by Rev JH Hugo on 8 July 1911. The letters R and H refer to the stone masons who dressed the stone foundations.  Proclaimed a national monument on 10 September 1982. In front of the church a commemoration monument was erected in 1938 commemorating the centenary of the Great trek. The wagon tracks were made by the Johanna van der Merwe centenary wagon.
Pont Mooring Point
•    Pont Mooring Point, Budler St – this cement block and iron ring was used to anchor the pont which was used across the Orange River. Inscribed N Bros. 1925 HWM and PH
Palm Tree Avenue
•    Palm Tree Avenue – the municipal area called Island Holiday resort - This avenue of date palms stretches over a distance of 1041 metres and was planted by the department of Water Affairs in 1903. Consist of more than 200 trees. It is reputedly the longest palm tree avenue in the southern Hemisphere. Proclaimed a national monument 0n 22 October 1982.
Independent Congregational Church
•    Independent Congregational Church, Sendling St – The congregation was formed in 1902. The cornerstone was laid on 2 July 1904. The church hall is across the street.
Monument Le Roux st
•    Monument Le Roux st – the memory plates were vandalised and removed.
Cathedral of St Augustine’s
•    Cathedral of St Augustine’s, Le Roux St– this roman Catholic cathedral was erected during the years 1942 to 1949 by the Rev Karl Simbruner and Brother Hugo with the help of schoolchildren and the inhabitants of Upington.  The cornerstone is dated Anno Domini 1-2-1942. The centenary was celebrated 1911-2011. Proclaimed a national monument on 23 March 1979.
Old Synagogue
•    Old Synagogue, Le Roux st – now a business premises for Fit-It.
Camel and Rider Statue
•    Camel and Rider Statue, in front of police station, Schroder St – It honours the police riders who patrolled the desert on camels.
Old Post Office
•    Old Post Office, Schroder St – gable dated 1930.
Goede Hoop Building
•    Goede Hoop Building, Schroder St – dated 1937.
•    Old Watermill 
•    Old Watermill