SALDANHA

On the west coast. The name in Portuguese form was ‘Agoada de Saldanha’, first given to the present Table Bay. Meaning ‘watering place of Saldanha’, it was named after Admiral Antonio de Saldanha, who was wounded there by the Khoikhoi in 1503 while taking water. In 1601 the present Saldanha Bay was passed by Joris van Spilbergen and he, presuming he had reached Agoada de Saldanha, applied the name to it. Thus, the name was transferred to the entity now named so designated. The town Saldanha took its name from the bay.
St Andrew’s Anglican Church
St Andrew’s Anglican Church, Vondeling St, Hoedjiesbaai – Dated 1885
Fisherman cottages
Fisherman cottages – on slope of Hoedjieskop, just of Salamander St – three rounded two-bay stone cottages – circa 1880
Museum
Museum – stone cottage on slope of Hoedjieskop – circa 1900
Statue
Statue – in front of museum – this is in memory of all lives lost at sea
Hoedjieskop
A well known hillock in Saldanha