PHILADELPHIA

Just off the N7 on the R304. It develops from a parish of the Dutch Reformed Church established in 1863. The name is of biblical origin (Rev. 3:7-13) and means ‘brotherly love’.
Dutch Reformed Church
Dutch Reformed Church and ring wall – a cornerstone indicate two dates 12860 and 1910. It was built from 1858 and completed in 1864. It was enlarged in 1911. Declared a National Monument on 22 September 1973.
Church hall
Church hall – Built in 1891 and rebuilt in1938
Primary school
Primary school, Pastorie st – Apparently built in 1911.
Dwelling in Louw St
Dwelling in Louw St - a twin gabled house
House Mostert Rd cnr Main st
House Mostert Rd cnr Main st – circa 1895
Shop Corner
Shop Corner – end Main St – much altered house. It retains its cast-iron veranda – circa 1890
Blikhuisie
Blikhuisie, Main st – a corrugated iron house with fretwork veranda circa 1900