MARSHALL TOWN

Named after the owner of the estate , Henty Brown Marshall (1852-1948)who laid it out on the farm Turffontein in October 1886.
City Hall
City Hall, Rissik Str – the foundation stone was laid on 29 November 1910 by the Duke of Connaught. The building was completed in 1914. It was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens and built by MCA Meischke. It was officially opened in April 1915.
Post office, Rissik St
Post office, Rissik St – The foundation stone was laid on 27 January 1897. The building was designed by Sytze Wierda of the ZAR and built by NCA Meischke. The cornerstone was laid by J van Alphen, the Postmaster -general of the ZAR. It was used as a post office until 1996. It was declared a National Monument in 1978.
Carmel Building
Carmel Building, Diagonal st (previously Jubilee St)– Built in 1897. Street level shops and accommodation upstairs.
Technical College, previously the Transvaal University College
Technical College, previously the Transvaal University College, Eloff str Cnr De Villiers – The foundation stone was laid on 29 August 1907. Designed by Robert Howden. The Transvaal University College later became Witwatersrand University.
Cuthberts Building
Cuthberts Building, Eloff Str cnr Pritchard St – built in 1904. Designed by Stucke & Bannister. The building was declared a National Monument on 27 June 1986
Tram Terminus Building
Tram Terminus Building, Market str – Established in 1930
Marsdale Building
Marsdale Building, cnr Marshall and Loveday st (last occupied by Castledex). Built in 1909. Only the corner tower remains. The rest of the building was demolished in 1995.
Stamp Battery
Stamp Battery, Main Street – This stamp battery was located at George Harrison Park in Langlaagte. The old stamp battery mills were replaced by tube mills in 1904.
Markhams Building
Markhams Building, Eloff Str cnr Pritchard St – Built in 1897. It had the town’s first four-faced clock in the corner tower.
Victory House
Victory House, Commissioner & Harrison St – It was formerly called Permanent Buildings. Designed by WH Stucke, it was erected in 1896. The first building in Johannesburg to have a lift.
Rosenberg’s Building
Rosenberg’s Building, Diagonal st, cnr Market – Built in 1905. Designed by WH Stucke. The street form part of the uitvalgrond triangle – Western boundary. The bottom was for shops and the upper storey for accommodation.
Barclays Bank (National Bank)
Barclays Bank (National Bank), 79 Commissioner st – 1903-5. This building formed one complex with Corner House
Cornerhouse
Corner House – cnr Commissioner and Simmonds St – Constructed in 1904 and upgraded in 1907. A mining house built for H Eckstein & Co. (Herman Eckstein). Designed by Leck & Emley.
Nathonson’s Buildings
Nathonson’s Buildings, 18-34 Diagonal st – Designed by Kallenbach & Reynolds. Built in 1905.
Somerset House
Somerset House (United Buildings), Ghandi Square, Fox St – 1905. This building was previously the United Building. It housed the United Building Society until 1930. The name then change from United Buildings to Somerset House. One if not the only building to which contained a glass roofed galleried court.
Reserve Bank
Reserve Bank, cnr Fox and Simmonds – 1934 -1938. Designed by Gordon Leith. A wide-bowl urn was placed above the tunnel-vault entrance arch.
Kimberley House
Kimberley House, 44 Pritchard St – designed by Chris J Olley. Originally built in 1892. Only the façade was preserved. The rest of the building was demolished and Old Mutual was erected on the site and the façade was incorporated.
The Guildhall
Meischke’s building -better known as The Guildhall – cnr Commissioner and Harrison St -  the oldest pub in Johannesburg, originally established in 1888. Build by Meischke for himself. He constructed the City Hall.
Elephant Trading House
Elephant Trading House, 107 Market St (Albertina Sisulu Rd) – Designed by Allen Wilson (Kallenbachs) Construction started in 1919 and completed by 1923. This was a wholesale business training across Southern Africa. By the Leon family.
Mallenick's House
Malenick's House - Market street - Gable dated 1907
Astor Mansions
Astor Mansions. 178 Jeppe cnr Von Brandis st – 1932. At 11 storeys high and with the added twin spires was at the time the highest building in Johannesburg. Designed by Obel & Obel. This is the smaller version of the Chrysler building in New York
Rand Club
Rand Club, Loveday str – designed by Leck and Emley’s. Erection of this building was started in 1902 and completed in 1904