JOUBERT PARK

Named after Commandant-General Piet Joubert of the Zuid-Afrikaansche Republiek. This was Johannesburg’s first park and it has been retained as a central lung to the city
House Jager,
House Jager, 44 Koch st – built for Mr AH Jager circa 1906. Possibly an earlier date as 1896. Construction date completed indicated 1903.
Greek Orthodox Church
Greek Orthodox Church - 74 Wolmarans st cnr Nugget St – The Hellenic Orthodox Church of Saints Constantine and Helen was built in 1912. Based on the Byzantine church of Santa Sophia in Constantinople (Istanbul). Designed by Herman Kallenbach and built by WJ Adams & Co. This was the first example of a building with a pendentive dome in South Africa.
Great Synagogue
Great Synagogue – 129 Wolmarans St – Also known as Park Synagogue. Designed by Theophile Shaerer and the contractor was Hoheisen & Co. The design was also based on the St Sophia (Hagia Sophia) in Constantinople. Officially consecrated by Rabbi Dr JL Landau on 23 August 1914. In 1915 the United Hebrew Congregation of Johannesburg was formed. The synagogue closed in November 1994 and was sold.
First Church of Christ Scientist
All Saints Church, Smit St cnr Banket St – now the First Church of Christ Scientist – The cornerstone of this stone church was laid  on 23 Sept 1909.
Drill Hall
Drill Hall – cnr Twist & Plein St – It was opened as the Volunteer Headquarters of the Johannesburg Regiments after the Anglo Boer War in October 1904. The foundation stone was laid by Lt -General Sir HJT Hildyard, commander of the British forces in SA, on 11 June 1904. After WWI part of the rooms were used for the detention of military prisoners. Became the headquarters of the Rand Light Infantry. During both World Wars troops would gather here before being assigned. The Drill Hall retained its military function until 1992.
Johannesburg Art gallery
Johannesburg Art gallery, Joubert Park, King George St – inspired by Lady Phillips. Wife of Sir Lionel Phillips in 1904.Designed by Sir Edward Luytens assisted by Sir Herbert Baker. It was opened by the Duke of Connaught, Governor-General of SA in November 1915. The foundation stone was laid by HJ Hofmeyer, the Mayor of Johannesburg on 12 October 1911. Money was spent on a collection of modern British and French paintings.